Saturday, October 19, 2013

Things to consider when searching for the perfect study spot

    I had just found the perfect place to study on the fourth floor of the library. It was a quiet little room with a window and had plenty of space for me to spread out. I set my backpack on one of the chairs and unloaded my computer, writing supplies, and homework. I took my sweatshirt off, pulled the rain boots off my feet, and plugged my phone in the wall to charge. As I uncapped a highlighter to begin annotating an article, I became aware of the most annoying sound ever: the irregular clanging of metal coming from somewhere in the ceiling. I tried to ignore it, but this faint murmur of death could not be unheard. What a rookie mistake to not look for annoyances before I set up camp. Things like this always happen to me, so I thought I better take note of what to consider before I make the same mistake again. Hopefully I can help you out too.
    1. Would it bother you to sit in a place where a lot of people pass by? Tables or chairs set near stairwells, bathrooms, drinking fountains, or computers/printers are high traffic areas. If you're anything like me, you'll want to look at every single person who walks by and you'll never get anything done. Plus there's the awkward eye contact...
    2. Sitting next to a window might be a bad idea. Cars driving by, couples holding hands on the sidewalk, squirrels shaking trees, and pictures in the clouds could all distract you from your work. Or, the natural lighting could put you in a better mood. Plus you’d be reminded that even though you may be dying with the gazillion hours of work you must do, life is waiting to greet you when you’re (hopefully) done.
    3. Lighting. Do you absolutely hate the artificial glow of yellow lights? Will there be a bothersome glare on your computer screen?
    4. Does your desired spot have an outlet close enough to plug your charger into? If the outlet is embedded in a metal chamber on the floor, your cell phone charger with a bulky plug might not fit. Then how could you send derpy pictures to your friends if your phone is dead?
    5. Before you unpack all your studying supplies, be still. Are there any noises that could disturb your thinking? Tiny but incessant sounds are like Chinese water torture for your brain!
    6. Little things: Is it too cold? Too hot? Do you have enough room to work?
    Of course, before you go through all of that, it's important to make sure you have all your studying essentials before you leave your house. You don't want to get all the way to the library and find that you forgot your headphones. When I'm gearing up for a six hour study session, I remember to bring:

    • laptop and charger
    • cell phone and charger
    • water
    • snacks/candy/gum
    • a sweatshirt (in case it gets cold)
    • earbuds/headphones
    • tissues
    • library card/ID
    • extra paper
    • extra homework (you know, for those times when you're more productive than you expected...yeah it doesn't happen to me either, but one can dream!) 

     Cool, I just wasted 2 hours finding the perfect spot to study, writing this post, and dancing to One Direction. It sucks that the library closes at 5 pm on Saturdays.

    On Repeat: "Fine By Me" - Andy Grammer
    Number of Froyo trips I've made this school year: 2
    Number of coffee shop visits this school year: 4

    No comments:

    Post a Comment