Monday, September 2, 2013

#VidCon2013 Day 1

So VidCon happened. Actually, it happened a month ago almost exactly. You might think that makes this post a bit late compared to most reviewers, but the entire trip was so perfect and dream-like that I couldn't possibly get all my thoughts on the subject into words so soon. Now that I'm at a significant distance from the weekend and I can safely drown in nostalgia, come with me down VidCon Lane!

Day 1

The VidCon schedule is so jam-packed with events, that it's impossible to be a part of everything that's going on. From panels to meetups, and signings to concerts, you can find your favorite youtuber in almost any situation. For my friends and I, the signings were our greatest interest since it allows you to say a few words to someone you admire and get a picture with that person (if the admin is nice enough to let you!). Because of this, we spent the first nine hours of our day in the expo hall.

First stop: Strawburry17! Meghan Camarena has been the female youtuber I've watched the longest, so naturally I headed to her line first. When she and her affiliates walked to their table, I waved at her brother David and he waved back and I cried...yeahhhhh I'm a professional fangirl. Meghan was so nice and I basically spewed my love for her and she listened to all of it. I hope her and Jimmy get married.

Winner for Most Dedicated to her Fans is Brittani Louise Taylor. She stood up to to hug her fans instead of sitting behind the signing table. I ran into her later happily talking with people in the bathroom, then at night she was saying hi to fans in the hotel lobby. Even more, I saw her meeting fans in the sponsor section of the expo hall the next day. She never stops!

Believe it or not, a friend of mine didn't know who Rebecca Black was until I told him about her a few days ago. To think he's never contemplated the options of what seat to take! Anyway, I discovered ol' Becky Black was very chill, despite her immense popularity at the gathering. When she went to sign my VidCon shirt, I told her there was vacant space next to a cat graphic and she got really excited. 

I heard Danielle Fishel was going to make an appearance somewhere, so I got out of line for Dan and Phil and found the Popsugar booth (the YT channel she's on). Not even two minutes later, she sat down behind the desk, lookin' perf (Do you see that hair!?!) and answered some questions from viewers. Guys, I was less than six feet from Topanga!!!

After waiting in line for FOUR HOURS to meet internet cult leaders Dan and Phil, here are the highlights:
- I handed each of them a note, to which Dan grabbed and set down on the gift table a few feet away. This gave me the perfect opportunity to admire his entire backside. Let me tell you, that boy fits a lot into those dark wash skinny jeans. He had love handles and I wanted to scream. *overcome with Dan feels*
- After Dan said he liked my hat, we had a conversation that went like this: ME: See that girl in the Doctor Who shirt right there? *points to my friend* Well she's never kissed a boy and I was wondering if you would be her first kiss. DAN: Ah, you know, I would, except there's like a pedophile law that says we can't.
- When my friends and I exited the queue I started crying. Legit sobs were coming out of me, I was so emotionally unstable from meeting them.

My friend and I ran into iamchrisc, and you'll see in day 2's post that I am his biggest fan.

One of the most hilarious and entertaining people on Youtube was filming a vlog when we saw her, so you can check out that epic moment here. We're doing her post-tea-sip-face, duh.

Whoa, this post is longer than a Zoella video and I haven't even mentioned half of the people I met on the first day of the convention. Other really cool things that happened were:
  • Seeing The Boy Band Project perform. Check out their Cody Simpson cover; it's so good! 
  • the DaveDays concert! See the iPhone in the middle of this video? My friend and I are the ones below it hyper-jumping like major corn balls. I just really have a soft spot for Dave...
  • GIVING DAVE A HIGH-FIVE!
It was a fantastic day and I wish I could go back and do it all over again. Look forward to my recap of day 2 which was even more miraculous.

On Repeat: "Best Friends" - Dave Days ft. Chris C and MatthewDaMC
Currently Reading: The Triggering Town by Richard Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment