Thursday, May 23, 2013

I have the best brother in the world

One of the greatest people in my life is my brother. Though I could compile an extensive list of all the reasons why he's the absolute best, I think what it boils down to is how he makes an effort to be a positive part of my life. Over the school year, he set a weekly reminder on his phone to call me every Tuesday. He gives me Christmas gifts that he makes himself. Even with a girlfriend, he still makes time to hang out with me. Put in less detail, he is one of the kindest, most verbally entertaining, and compassionate people I know.

I'm so glad he's home for the summer, because he's always been my running buddy. Tonight, when he finished running his mile around the track and I still had one more lap to go, he ran a few paces behind me and said, "Don't stop, or I'll crash into you. I'm your incentive to keep going." In that moment, when I was on the verge of giving up, that was the nicest thing anyone could have done for me.

I sometimes worry about having kids in the future because I'm afraid they won't have a relationship like my brother and I do. I know so many people who hate their siblings, some who haven't willingly spoken to their brother or sister in years. If my kids wished their siblings didn't exist, I wouldn't feel like I had a real family. (I'm not saying great sibling relationships are what constitute a real family; rather, I'd feel as if my family was imperfect -- not in the acceptable way that all families are.)

Our relationship isn't all sunshine and daisies, don't get me wrong. There have been times where I swore I would never speak to him again because of some offensive thing or another.  I can never stay mad at him for long though; he always finds a way to infect me with his sweetness or alluring quirkiness again. All in all, I'm extremely lucky to say I have the best brother in the world.

Supa Cheesay, Ow! also three years old...
Starting now, I declare this week Thank You For Being In My Life; I Love You; Let's Hug Week!...erm, I mean People Appreciation Week. Everyday, I'll dedicate a post to someone who has made my life brighter, happier, or more fun. I am blessed with so many great friends in my life; it's time I show them a little more love. Yeah, a week is definitely not enough.

On Repeat: "What's Up" - 4 Non Blondes (It's just stuck in my head. Get it outttttt!)
Days until Colorado: 29
Days until California: 71
Days until I  no longer have to work at Subway: 90

No comments:

Post a Comment