Friday, May 31, 2013

I'm a Chloe

While watching Jonas Brothers music videos on youtube, I came across this video by Emblem3 with a message that absolutely made my jaw drop -- out of appreciation.

The song is called "Chloe" and after hearing the first set of lyrics ("Chloe, I know your sister turns everyone on, but you're the one I want"), I thought it was going to touch on all the reasons why a particular girl named Chloe should think she's just as attractive as her sister. Without further interpretation, the song does fit this expectation, however, the video that goes along with it provides a whole new message -- one that doesn't simply apply to one girl, but to all girls who've ever felt like they weren't good enough.


After watching the video, you see that Chloe isn't a specific girl, but a term used to refer to the girl who feels nonexistent because she's not a part of the queen bees; the girl who sits quietly wishing that cute boy from math class would notice her; the girl who's sick of believing she has to dress or act a certain way in order to get some attention. The guys of Emblem3 are desperate for Chloe to know that she is worth it, she is beautiful, and she most definitely does not have to worry about measuring up to the Regina Geroges of the world.

I have spent my entire life being a Chloe.  All of my friends are Chloes.  Heck, I bet even the girls who have every guy's attention have felt like Chloes at some point. Thinking no guy will ever like you, or that you'll never be as physically or emotionally attractive as the other girls, let's be honest, fricking sucks. That's why this song makes me so happy. It aims at giving girls confidence and a chance to feel good about themselves. It brings out the truth that I needed to hear all through middle and high school, and even college: You are beautiful and incredible just the way you are, and no other girl is better or worse than you.

Even though the only Chloe I've ever met in my life is actually the kind of girl this song is not about (the popular American Beauty who every guy lusts over), I'm still obsessed with this track. Way to go, Emblem3, for writing a song every boy band should stand for.


On Repeat: "Chloe (You're The One I Want)" - Emblem3 (DUH)
Days until California: 60
Days until I no longer have to work at Subway: 81

No comments:

Post a Comment