Friday, July 12, 2013

Book Review: Eleanor & Park

Every night, before I shut my eyes and drift into an innocent slumber, I pray to God that more novels would be published starring not-so-skinny teenagers who fall head over heels in love for Asian misfits.

Ok, that's total bologna, but after finishing the last book I checked out from the library, any story depicting average American teens with good looks is just...boring. I want deeper conflicts and unique characters with mixed ethnicities. I want a love story so real and beautifully written that my heart swells and breaks and grows three sizes that day. Friends, I found that book, and I want the rest of the world to experience it too.

cover art by Harriet Russell

"Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell (yes, Rainbow) is one of the best books I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Unlike most of the young adult fiction I read, this one is written in third person and is limited to the two main characters, Eleanor and Park, as it switches between the thoughts of each of them. This particular narrative style connects the two protagonists in a way so special that you know the characters are in love without the author ever having to spell it out. It takes place in Nebraska in 1986 and focuses on the lives of two sixteen-year-olds who feel like outsiders compared with the rest of their class. Eleanor not only comes from a broken, abusive home, but is also mocked for having crazy red hair and being overweight. Park is half Korean, half Irish and likes to wear eyeliner. From the first time they meet on the bus to school, their lives are changed forever. As their friendship turns into a vigorous attraction that neither of them can deny, they realize that being in love doesn't rid them of their problems, yet they're still brave enough to try.

This book. This book.This book.This book. I cannot.

It's been over a year since I've read anything that has given me such immense feelings over every aspect of the book. This one grabbed tightly to my heart from the very first chapter and continued to turn it into mush as I faithfully turned the pages. I was so enchanted by the characters' story that my heart crushed near the end and I cried like I was losing a close friend. At the very last page, I literally cried out, hating the idea that I had to go on with my life without knowing exactly where Eleanor and Park ended up. I fiercely crave to read more, even if it's as uneventful as what Eleanor ate for breakfast or what comic currently took up space on Park's lap.

All other books seem bland and juvenile and poorly written in comparison. Reading Rainbow's writing is like getting to eat your favorite candy. It's addictive, pure, and intensely satisfying. As someone who aspires to be an author, this book is my gold. I want to study it, learn from it, and steal all her tricks. This is the type of book that will affect the way I write and change the way I think about teenage love stories. I cannot get enough.

The fun part? Park is the first crush I've had on a fictional character since Maximum Ride's Iggy in middle school. Every time he said something heart-felt, I died and wanted to yank Eleanor's sleeve when she rolled her eyes at him.

Look at this awesome fan art! ( c ) pbjsandwitch

So basically, read this book. It doesn't matter if you've never read in the young adult genre or hate romance or are biased against unconventional main characters. This book is worth every ounce of your time. It will teach you how to love and be loved, how to face your problems, and the meaning of family.

Need I coax you more? When I finished this book in bed around noon, the only thing urging me to start my day was knowing that I had to get my hands on my own copy. I went straight to Barnes & Noble and spent $20 on the hardcover. When the paperback version comes out, I'll probably buy that one too. With quotes like, "Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat," there is much highlighting to be done.


On Repeat: "Waiting For a Girl Like You" - Foreigner
Currently Reading: Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson
Days Until California: 18

2 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing this book for forever! I absolutely hate hard copies because I'm a stupid snob but if it doesn't come out in paperback soon I'm going to break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so worth it! I prefer paperback too, but if you can rent it from the library or something, definitely do that. I'd like to see if you found anything wrong with the book because it is THE BEST.

      Delete