Sunday, November 17, 2013

Dorm Life: Living in a Triple

I didn't have time to write a quality post today, so I'm sharing a sample blog post I had to write for an application to be a student blogger at my school. Unless you're an incoming college freshman, this probably won't apply to you...sorry.


triple (n): A dorm room that houses three people.

In July before my freshman year, I obsessively checked my email for the message that would reveal the fate of my first year at college: my housing assignment. 

Whether or not you’ll have a good time at college is based on where you live and who you room with, right? You’ve heard the horror stories of the girl who tears apart her roommate’s closet for not being invited to a dinner party, or the guy who brings his pet rat and lets it freely run around the room. A lot of scary stuff could happen! 

So the day Residential Life sent me *the email*, I was all kinds of anxious. One click to open the email, a quick scroll to the important stuff, and there it was: the names of my roommates. 

Roommates, plural. Now my biggest concern wasn’t if I would get along with one person, but if I would get along with two. I cried. I pleaded with God, wondering why he would throw down such a curse on me, the introvert.  College was coming fast though, and there was nothing I could do but hope for the best.

Did I shake you up enough? Get you worried about your life on campus? Well don’t be afraid, my friend, because I have fabulous deets to share. Living with two other people is actually one of the best things that happened to me freshman year! I loved my room and roomies so much that we’re in the same room together for a second year. So fear not when you open up that housing email and see that you’ll be living in a triple, because I’m filling you in on the perks…


Top 3 perks of living in a triple:

  • 1.      More space. Besides a few exceptions, living in a triple means there is more room to move, stretch, and hang out. Plus, the extra space offers more opportunities for moving the furniture around and fitting in more stuff.
  • 2.      Fewer items to bring. Three people mean having an extra person to do their part in bringing the essentials. Things like a fan, TV, couch, fridge, and extra shelving is split between more people, so you end up saving money.
  • 3.     Always have a friend. No one wants to go to lunch alone, so if one roommate has class during the only time you can eat, chances are your other roommate is free to eat with you. Also, if all of you are majoring in different things, your roommates can introduce you to people in fields that you would have never interacted with otherwise.
If you happen to be placed in a triple, don’t think of it as a curse, but think of it as a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment